Question: We want to buy an efficient washing machine to get that nice $250 rebate the DWP offers, but we also want to wait until the post-holiday sales to get a lower price on this major appliance. The local salesmen tell us that the rebate will end "soon," when the DWP’s fund for rebates is depleted. They are somewhat motivated to get us to act as fast as possible, but I don’t want to find out in February that the price has dropped more and I’ve actually lost money by acting too soon.
Is there a way to get a reliable estimate on when that fund will be depleted? — Mike G., Northridge
Answer: Thanks for the question Mike! It’s a good one. From what I can tell, the local salesmen are looking for a little holiday cheer, while your bliss may well be after the holidays.
First, a little background. The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power wants the water they have available to go further in Los Angeles, which they refer to as a "virtual desert." Washing machines, the company claims, "have become the single largest user of water in homes today," so finding a way to save as much as 50% of the water used for clothes washing (up to 30 gallons per load) is a good deal all around. So that’s why LADWP is offering a $250 rebate to our residential customers who purchase and install a qualifying high-efficiency clothes washer.
Bottom line, Mike: There is no set cut-off date. I contacted Joseph Ramallo, director of public affairs for DWP, and here’s what he said when I asked if the program would continue at least until the end of January:
Yes it will! We have no plans to discontinue the rebate in the foreseeable future, especially given the persistent dry conditions and water shortage challenges facing SoCal. Your readers should know that our $250 rebate is the most generous in the country.
Plus, here’s what the DWP website says about this rebate:
• Here’s the List of Approved Models as of Nov. 2, 2007. Your clothes washer must be purchased on or after April 1, 2007. Application must be submitted within one year of the purchase date.
• Rebates are available for qualified single-load high-efficiency washing machines purchased within 12 months of application date.
• The program is available to LADWP residential customers only.
• Rebates are available on a one rebate per household basis. Repeat purchases are not eligible for additional rebate payments.
• Washing machines must be new and must meet the Energy Star Efficiency specifications for resource efficiency.
• Machines must be installed in the LADWP service area.
• Rebates will be paid to the LADWP customer of record only. Customer’s account must be in good standing to receive a rebate.
• An original, dated sales receipt must be provided.
• An on-site inspection may be required prior to the issuance of the rebate check.
• LADWP does not endorse or recommend specific brands, products or dealers; nor does it guarantee materials or workmanship; acceptance of such is customer’s responsibility.
• This program is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
• To download a rebate application, click on the link below:
Consumer Rebate Program Application (PDF file)