However . . . as I’ve been perusing the product recall website of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission I realized, uh oh, those cards are how I would be contacted if my purchase is recalled for a defect.
The good news first: there have been no recalls announced by the CPSC this year for any refrigerators, espresso/cappuccino machines, clothes dryers, toaster ovens, garage door openers and many other well-made items.
But there have been recalls. Here’s a small sample of the action in just the past few months:
• General Electric recalls 2.5 million dishwashers due to fire hazard (May 16)
• Asko Cylinda recalls 130,000 DW95 Series dishwashers due to fire hazard (June 14)
• Petters Consumer Brands recalls 300 Sunbeam Over-the-Range Microwaves for fire hazard (July 17)
• Fire hazard with 42,000 Thermador® Built-In Ovens leads to recall by BSH Home Appliances Corp. (June 29)
• 2000 Thermador Ceramic Cooktops recalled by BSH Home Appliances Corp. due to fire hazard (June 7)
• General Electric recalls 2,600 Gas ranges due to fire hazard (June 6)
Questions: Have you ever owned a recalled appliance? How did it work out for you?